Sunday, September 18, 2011

How to be Camping Chic





In my last post, I talked about my family's yearly camping trip to Butt Lake. So, continuing the love affair with camping, let's take an in-depth look at the outdoor-vacationing lifestyle and celebrate "Joi de Camping." For my two cents, there are few pleasures in life as delightful as flannel, periodic s'more buffets and campfire hijinks. Here are some key tips to styling your next dust-bound excursion:


#1 EMBRACE THE DIRT

Walking around with a chapstick-induced mud mustache is just part of the full experience. Go with it! 


#2 WE RISE AT DAWN (or 1215)

Some of us are morning people and well, some of us are not. That's ok. When you're camping, you get to sleep or not sleep in as much as you want. Below: see Claire and see me. Guess who is the morning person?



# 3 ACCESSORIZE WITH...A STYLISH HAT

Nothing says glamour like a chic chapeau or in my case an old hat I bought at the local hardware store five years ago. I think it might have once been worn by a dead fisherman. Lo and Natasha bought their hats at the dollar store in town. Hats add mystery and sun-protection to the camping world.






#4 ACCESSORIZE WITH...BANDANAS AND CAPES

A few years back, all us campers went through a serious bandana kick and well it just keeps kicking. They are practical, colorful, and can be worn in numerous ways. Doesn't Angela look pretty in pink? 



Side Benefit of the Bandana: You can channel Rhoda Morgenstern anytime you want 

I am loving this towel that my cousin Callen turned into a cape. My (capeless) Uncle Lee looks pretty handsome too


#5 DRESS LIKE A CAMP COUNSELOR

I think this one is pretty self-explanatory, but for reference take a look at the following films: Meatballs, Friday the 13th, The Parent Trap (1961), and of course, Wet Hot American Summer.




# 6 DON'T FORGET YOUR SUNGLASSES

You will go blind. That's all I've got to say about that.


Hello models!

Hayley is bringing the awesome

Stephen with his effortless cool

Mum


# 7 THE POWER OF THE PROP

In the wilderness, a photoshoot, like a bear attack, can happen any time. Don't be afraid to make adequate use of props (or firearms...)and scenery


Lottery Card = Instant Mystique


 My father is a great stationary equestrian


Everyone needs a Tom Selleck commemorative plate. Everyone.



Kirsten proves that a laundromat washing machine is the perfect background.

#8 WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, GIVE ME "DUST BOWL"

You may remember my discovery of a new modeling pose called, "Beware the Velociraptor." You can find that post here and voila, an example:


But, there is a pose that rivals even the velociraptor and that is, wait for it: "DUST BOWL." You know those haunting images of early 1930s migrant workers staring off into the horizon with a look of quiet desperation and crippling hunger. Yeah, we turned that into a pose. We're sensitive that way. I give you the "Dust Bowl." Use it for the powers of good.

                               STEVE                   LEE
                                HAYLEY                 TONI


            ANGELA                 CLAIRE
                           ME                      LUCY


GRANDPA actually lived through the Great Depression, so his representation I feel has a particular gravitas. In his words: "Oh, no I'm an Okie. DUST!"


So, whether you want to camp with style or want some style that's camp, here's to Camping Joi De Vivre and all the fun that comes with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment