Friday, October 7, 2011

How to Write a "To Do" List


I do not pretend to be the world’s greatest list-maker, but I do claim to be on the short-list of the world’s greatest list-makers. I come from a long line of list makers. I make “To Do” lists and “To Don’t” lists. Since I was a little girl I have made lists. 
This would be a prototypical list from a six-year old me:


  1. Wake up
  2. Grow new teeth
  3. Don't brush the teeth I've got (they're going to fall out anyways)
  4. Travel Extensively
  5. Learn how to read
As I got older, I wrote more lists.
This would be a prototypical list from a sixteen-year old me:
  1. Wake up
  2. Grow boobs
  3. Climb a mountain
  4. Become a more authentic human being who has boobs and can climb a mountain
  5. Make a mixed cd with the theme “mountains”
You get the picture. Yes, I usually start my lists with “wake up,” because I figure that everyday this is one goal (barring any unforeseen comas) that I can achieve. So, the other day, when I was sitting at McDonald’s enjoying my daily ice cream cone-meditation-time, I wrote a list. I think that it might very well be my favorite list of all time (right next to the Bill of Rights).
Here it goes...

(This was not written on March 7-13...I just like to relive the past by recycling)

TO DO

WRITE
PERFORM
BE A PERSON
DON'T BUY IN or SELL OUT
DRINK MORE WATER
GET A TRAMPOLINE

I write lists because I love the idea that my days can be filled with possibility. We are our lists. We are our goals. Don’t get me wrong. Lists can also be for chores, grocery trips, and the day-to-day mechanics of life. But, we can and should insert ourselves between the items. “Pick up the dry cleaning,” and “Pay bills,” but don’t forget to add in a little space for “Dance,” or “Perfect your imitation of Daniel Day Lewis.” Our lists, like our lives, should be filled with the ordinary wonderfulness of losing teeth, growing boobs, and waking up.

2 comments:

  1. hope you got those new teeth.

    if you need a mountain themed mix cd - just let me know.

    ReplyDelete