Wednesday, July 20, 2011

KISS

from the streets of Chicago...near my favorite Panera's

You may have noticed that I started the blog by listing day 1 and day 2, but have you ever noticed how many days there are? They just keep coming. Yeesh.

So we're going to jump to “Week 2 of Second City:” new week, new teachers. Often, I think of improv as being a male dominated art form. Really, don't know why, especially considering how many hysterical women I know. So, I was delighted to have two kickass lady teachers (what a terrible descriptor) for this week of class. It became very clear, very quickly that the training wheels were coming off.

My improv teacher, Rachel Mason, is a goddess, the patron saint of improv wisdom. Nuff said. She would speak and I would have to hold my hands together to prevent constant outbreaks of exuberant clapping. I also took notes like a conscientious and slightly obsessed court reporter.

Lessons learned:

  1. Know who you are first before you go trying to become other people
  2. Show us who you are
  3. You are wholly accountable for your joy
  4. Make the choice to be open
  5. Don't just confront your fears- run after them
  6. My favorite, “If you are not having fun, then you're the a$*hole”
  7. KISS = Keep it simple stupid


No comments:

Post a Comment