Thursday, July 21, 2011

Loom for More


Getting to see TJ & Dave at the iO was one of the definite highlights of my trip. A pair of improvisers on a stage, the lights go out, the lights come up and away they go. It's that simple and that brilliant. There's no planning, and no script, just this pair of friends onstage. How brave! For the first 10 minutes, they were two stoners living in an apartment and discussing the existential need to find out if they had any more Cheese-its in the kitchen. Then they became a young married couple, a pair of cops, party supply factory workers,and finally they alternated playing the role of a Korean shop owner. It was like watching two people weaving at a very funny loom.

Lesson Learned: You have to support your partner in any scene or sketch or real life scenario. It's a three-legged race and you're not going to be able to cross that finish line on your own. CONNECT. Magic happens when you do. Prior to the show, TJ & Dave were talking offstage. As the lights began to come down, they turned to each other embraced and shook hands. They looked into each others eyes and knew that the other person was completely present, and totally open, fully generous. Confession: For so long I've been a selfish actor, whether I knew it or not. I wanted the laugh; I wanted the praise. I held back. I was afraid to give anything up because would there be anything left for me. I wasn't totally there for my scene partners. What a selfish stingy schlump! I get it now. First comes the scene, then comes your partner, and last comes yourself. Give, give more. Be, be more. Therein ends the improv sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment