Saturday, August 20, 2011

Cheeseburger Dan Rad

Ever notice how certain trips have a lingering motif? A code word? A connective tissue? Memories and images that stick with you long after you've unpacked your luggage? I love when my trips have a "through line." 

For example:

  • Williamsburg 1996: Fife Beret -> Hayley got a fife; I got a beret.
  • 5th Grade Trip to Pigeon Point: Pescadero Charades -> I went to Pescadero; I played charades and won!
  • Hawaii 1998: The Black Eyed Grandma -> My Grandma got a black eye, but all I got was poi.
  • Paris 2000: Death March 2000 -> We walked so much my feet fell off.
  • Camping 2008: Fire Evacuation Milk Duds -> While we were evacuated, I ate milk duds.


When I got back from my East Coast excursion, I began to wonder what the through line was.  Then it hit me NY/Boston 2011: Cheeseburger Dan Rad. You see, on this trip I ate quite a few cheeseburgers and I saw quite a bit of Daniel Radcliffe, and for this I am definitely the richer.



We went to see two Broadway shows in New York: Jersey Boys, and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. Of the former, I can say little (some nice numbers, some good singers). Of the latter, I will say, "Daniel Radcliffe you are a goshdarn adorable British button and I hope you will accept this proposal of matrimony."

How to Succeed in Business is your typical capitalistic morality tale with charm and high kicks. Set in the 1960s, it follows young J. Pierrepont Finch (Radcliffe) as he finagles his way from window washer to young exec. Along the way, there's a girl (cause there's always a girl). Along the way, there are complications (cause there are always complications). John Laroquette, of Night Court fame, is a delight as J.B. Biggley, the President of the World Wide Wicket Corporation. The best moments of the show were always when Laroquette and Radcliffe shared the stage. It was akin to watching youtube videos of "unlikely animal friends," delightful and unexpected; but with a feeling of truth and gravitas. 

Clip from favorite number of the evening "Grand Old Ivy"

Why did I like Dan Rad so much in this production? Daniel Radcliffe: It's not that he's that great a singer (homeboy can hold a tune but he ain't no Pavoratti). But, he can dance and he can tell a joke and he can be present on stage. It also doesn't hurt that he is pretty much the cutest thing I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of puppies and rainbows in my day. Maybe it's the fact that I've known him in some respect (on the big screen) since he was 10. We've all watched him grow up. So, when I was watching him perform on stage, it was as if I was watching the boy next door playing the lead role in our community's production of How to Succeed. Not to say the production wasn't top notch and Mad Man chic. It was. But, at its core, what I witnessed was somebody (Dan Rad) doing something (a Broadway musical) that he shouldn't have been able to do and he did it and he did it well. He pulled it off; he done good;  he's made the old folks proud. 

Now, did I mention that the night that we went to see the show a large portion of the "Harry Potter" cast was also attending? Yup. Rupert Grint (Ron), Tom Felton (Malfoy), Matthew Lewis (Longbottom), Emma Watson (Hermione) were all in attendance. 15 minutes before curtain, we were sitting in our seats when all of the sudden celebrity wildfire broke loose. It began with a squeal. Somebody squealed in the back row of the theatre and then somebody else squealed and then there were whispers and yellings and much twitterpation was begat. Women gave birth, young tweens swallowed their retainers, grown men wept. I exaggerate, but only slightly. We were all agog. I actually saw two teenage girls crying and holding each other. No, those two girls weren't me. 

The show was wonderful fun, like a 1960s sorbet. Every joke, line, and prop piece landed where it was supposed to. Now, maybe the show was extra good that night because Dan Rad was showing off for his movie star cohorts. Maybe the show was extra good that night because the show was just extra good. But, I like to think that Dan was just really excited to have his friends in the audience, like any local kid in a community show would be. When you watch somebody on stage, no matter how costumed or method they might be, you get a sense of who they really are. Dan Rad is a solid performer, but he's also the nice kid you grew up with.
Suit up. I made my shirt just prior to the third movie. Lo made hers specially for the occasion. Ah, memories.

Flash forward several days, I'm in Boston. I'm watching the final Harry Potter movie and sobbing my eyes out. I'm watching Harry Potter, Hermione, Ron, and all of Hogwarts (except for those darn Slitherins) do this thing (destroying Voldemort) that they should not have been able to do, and they're doing it, and they're doing it well. So, I'm sobbing, but not out of sadness, though I am sad; I'm crying because I'm proud of Dan and all the kids up there. They done good. They made the old folks proud. 

Good on ya, Dan Rad!

P.S. Cheeseburgers you were really good too

No comments:

Post a Comment